Friday, April 27, 2012

Return of the Money Saving Mom..

Wow, it's been too long since I last posted. Been a busy little bee. Since I last posted, we bought a house. Well actually, we are having one built. So with that being said, it's ALMOST done. We move in in 2.5-3 weeks. How exciting? We are thrilled, of course. Well... with that being said, I have been trying to find ways to keep money in our pockets. So here are some things, I have been up to since I last posted:


*Making my own baby food, for the last 3 months. I am using the "Magic Baby Bullet." And boy do I love it. Lucas (my youngest), loves it too. We recently, tried jarred food, and he gagged. Thought it was repulsive. Nothing like the real thing, I guess. Not to mention full of a lot of nothing with a side of preservatives.


*Just ordered a stock (22 diapers/inserts + a diaper sprayer) of Cloth Diapers. I am beyond thrilled for these bad boys to get to our door. I scored an awesome deal on eBay for some ALVAbaby diapers. The whole lot was $84.99 for 20 solid colored diapers, then I snagged two additional diapers for $6/each. I have heard rave reviews from friends and online about these diapers. That's a whopping $4.24/diaper. CHEAP! Plus from what I understand, the quality is pretty amazing. Plus, they come with inserts.


*Today, I got stuff to make my own laundry detergent. EEK! I am beyond excited to start using it. Got home from the store and whipped up some scented and some non-scented stuff. Non-scented b/c my oldest has severe eczema and needs everything 100% dye and scent free. 

  • 3 bars of soap- $3.97
  • Fals Naptha- $0.97
  • Borax- $4.99
  • Washing Soda- $3.97
  • Dispensers to hold detergent- $4.97/each
  • Total: $23.84
Recipe adapted from: The Burlap Bag
1 Bar of Soap (your choice) or Fals Naptha
1 Cup Washing Soda
1 Cup Borax
Yields: enough for 64 loads. 
You use 1-1.5 Tbsp. PER load. that's all.

The boxes will makes me probably 5 gallons or more. That is quite the savings. So I am pretty excited about that.

*Also, making my own homemade hand soap. :)
  • 8 Pack of Bar Soap- $6.99
  • Glycerin- $2.97
  • Total: $9.96


Recipe adapted form: The Farmer's Nest
1 bar of soap
1 gallon water
2 Tbsp. Glycerin 

Actual DIY Handsoap

*Been making my own Bisquick too. And let me tell you, not only does it save you money which is amazing, but it's seriously super delish, as well. :P

Recipe adapted from: DIY Home made Bisquick Recipe

Up Next:
  • Homemade cleaning solutions
  • Homemade Sewn Baby Wipes
  • Bodywash
  • Baby Body Wash
  • Dishwasher Detergent
  • Felted Wool Dryer Balls
Also, I plan to make all of curtains and upholster chairs and such in our home. :P LOVE the simple, inexpensive lifestyle. It's so nice to save money, especially with two little ones. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment